Entry CriteriaWe expect good and accurate use of spoken and written English.
What academic qualifications are needed?
- GCSE English Language Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) is essential
- GCSE Mathematics Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) is essential
- If you want to teach primary age children, GCSE Science Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) is essential
- You will need to have the GCSE qualifications or equivalents before you apply.
- For Secondary trainees, 3 A Levels at good grades (C+) would be desirable, but not essential.
- For all training routes offered by the Hillingdon SCITT an undergraduate degree is essential.
- It is desirable for applicants who wish to teach Secondary school subjects to have at least 50% of their degree in the subject they wish to teach. However if this is not the case Hillingdon SCITT will recommend that you undertake a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course.
What if my qualifications were not gained in the UK?
If your qualifications (GCSE & Undergraduate Degree) were not gained in the UK, you will need to get the relevant qualifications converted by NARIC to check for the UK equivalency.
Please note that it is your responsibility to prove that your qualifications are equivalent. Upon receipt of your application Hillingdon SCITT will contact you for you to provide us with this information.
What other tests do I need to take?
- You will need to take the Professional Skills Tests.
- If you are thinking of applying for a teacher training course, you will need to take the numeracy and literacy skills tests as part of the application process, and ensure you have passed them before the start of the course.
- There is no limit on the number of test attempts.
- The first three attempts at taking your skills tests in each subject is provided free of charge.
- You can book further tests should you need them but you will be expected to pay from the fourth test onwards.
- If you have previously taken the test and failed three times and are now in a lock out period, this lock out period has now been removed. Therefore you will now be able to book tests for both subjects.
- A refund will be issued to candidates who sat their second or third attempted tests between 24th October 2017 and 14th February 2018
- Skills test passes for ITT applicants will be valid for three years. If you begin your ITT course after three years have elapsed you will be required to re-take the test.
- For more information visit Professional skills tests Tel: 0300 303 9613 (Mon-Fri 8.00am-4.00pm)
- You can book your tests up to three months in advance for a date by which you are expecting to have submitted an application.
- When you take the tests you will need to provide proof that you have applied for a teacher training course.
- The Hillingdon SCITT can help you to prepare for these tests.
Is school experience required?
For all School Direct Salaried applicants it is recommended that you have a minimum of 3 years work experience (this does not have to have been in an educational setting).
Although school experience is not a requirement to get onto an ITT course, we do however strongly recommend that you gain some school experience so that you fully understand the role of a teacher.